Bioscience Institute, Genomics and Clinic
The world’s leading Genomics and Regenerative Medicine Centres are based in Europe (Roma, Milano and San Marino) and Middle East (Dubai). Bioscience offer the most advanced personalized expanded adopse derived stem cell therapies and Next Generation Sequencing genomic test for solid cancer risk management. The premium service in Regenerative Medicine include cryopreservation and expansion of stem cells for personalized anti-aging treatments, aesthetic plastic surgery, hair regeneration and wound care. The Genomics premium services is based on Liquid Biopsy for the solid cancer risk assessment, early detection and monitoring of cancer targeted therapy. The services of Bioscience are unique in the world as they offer the most advanced autologous cell therapies and genetic profilling.
Excellence of Bioscience
All the procedures of cell extraction, expansion and therapy are carried out at laboratories of Bioscience Clinic - Middle East and Bioscience Institute that are located in Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC) and in San Marino. The development of the laboratories in Dubai have benefited from the 7 years’ experience of existing Bioscience Institute laboratories in Europe that are considered one of the most advanced in the world. Bioscience Clinic Laboratories are licensed and inspected by the Ministry of Health of UAE and DHCC who had also inspected laboratories of Bioscience Institute in Europe. The quality standards are compliant with Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) and can be verified by anyone who visits the Bioscience Clinic website - www.bioinst.ae.
Together with laboratories situated in Europe, those of Dubai are the only ones in the world that provide the ability to check the standards of environmental and instrumental operating procedures online. Through the Bioscience Clinic website it is possible to view the internal cameras of the laboratories and to verify the procedures adopted by biologists. The parameters of the environmental quality and the performance of the instruments are recorded through a control system that is always visible on the website. The ethical principles of Bioscience Institute are expressed in this model of quality and transparency.
Bioscience Institute was founded in Republic of San Marino in 2006 with € 875,000.00 fully-paid capital. It is a compound of
● Regenerative Medicine Clinic including cell bank, cell factory and clinic dedicated to expanded adipose dervived stem cells therapies. Cell Factory is used for the storage and expansion of Umbilical Cord Blood Stem Cells, Adipose Derived Stem Cells, Fibroblasts, Keratinocytes, Melanocytes.
● Genomics Platform including the Circulating Free DNA, Curculating Tumor DNA and Circulating Tumor Cells detection for Solid Cancer Risk Management.
● Bioscience Institute, in partnership with leading Universities, performs the scientific research activity, aimed at extending the possible clinical applications of stem cells in different fields of medicine. The company owns and has an exclusive management of laboratories where its work is conducted. Since the first year of operation Bioscience Institute has certified all annual financial statements, as required by statute, by the auditors.
Bioscience Clinic Middle East has established a worldwide excellence facility in Dubai in 2014. It is the first Regenerative Medicine Clinic in the Middle East that offers the most advanced personalized autologous cell therapies.
Bioscience Clinic includes cell bank, cell factory and clinic dedicated to cell banking, culture and therapies.
Our Cell Factory is used for the storage and expansion of Adipose Derived Cells and Fibroblasts.
The Aesthetic and Anti-Aging services of Bioscience are unique in the world as they offer the most advanced autologous cell therapies.
The Group of Bioscience facilities works only at the highest level of excellence and includes cell banks, clean rooms and clinics.
All the procedures of biopsies, samples collection, cell extraction, expansion and grafts of cultured cells are carried out at our laboratories and clinic that are located in Dubai Healthcare City (DHCC). The development of the laboratories in Dubai has benefited from the 7 years’ experience of existing Bioscience Institute laboratories in Europe that are considered one of the most advanced in the world. Bioscience Clinic Laboratories are licensed and inspected by the Ministry of Health of UAE and DHCC who had also inspected laboratories of Bioscience Institute in Europe.
is a University spin off between with Roma Tor Vergata University and Bioscience Institute.
Bioscience Genomics is the first company that perform the solid cancer risk management based on cfDNA, ctDNA, Germinal DNA and CTC analysis together, to healthy people and oncologic patients. Today the Liquid Biopsy is used only on patient with cancer already diagnosed (eg: for the understanding of the patient response to drug treatment).
Having already three genomics platforms (Roma, Milano and San Marino) for liquid biopsy services based on circulating free DNA, circulating tumor DNA and Circulating Tumor Cells to perform the Solid Cancer Risk Management for the risk assessment based on genetic profiling, solid cancer early detection based on cfDNA and monitoring of therapies based on CTC and ctDNA.
The Risk Assessment Program HELIXAFE is patent pending from Bioscience Institute.
Professor Manuel Salto-Tellez (MD-LMS, FRCPath, FRCPI) is the Chair of Molecular Pathology at Queen’s University Belfast, Clinical Director for Molecular Diagnostics for Northern Ireland and Deputy Director of the Centre for Cancer Research and Cell Biology.
Giuseppee Novelli is Head of the Human Genetics Research Unit at The Tor Vergata University of Rome (Italy) and Dean of the Medical School in the same University. He graduated with a BSc in Biology from Urbino University in 1981 and achieved his PhD in Medical Genetics at the Sapienza University of Rome in 1985.
Prof. Mario Roselli Biosketch
Dr Luca Quagliata - Activities Summary and Profile.
Nicola Aceto is a Swiss National Science Foundation Assistant Professor of Oncology and Group Leader of the Cancer Metastasis laboratory at the University of Basel, Switzerland. Previously, he trained at Harvard Medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, at the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in Cambridge, and at the Friedrich Miescher Institute in Basel.
Maurizio Scaltriti, PhD - Associate Member
ETHICSThe field in which Bioscience is active is marked by clear international laws and guidelines, which range from being very strict or very tolerant. This passes responsibility for self-control on the individual company, whose role is to guarantee the respect of ethical principles, even when they are not imposed by law. In this context, Bioscience places ethics and knowledge at the heart of its operations and adheres to the most rigorous quality control standards.
KNOWLEDGEDaily meta-disciplinary research has allowed Bioscience to develop a large knowledge bank that is a consequence of the translation of scientific results to the different specialized compartments. This model overcomes the harmful closures towards meta-disciplinary research that are sometimes reducing the perspective of research groups.
CHALLENGEBioscience Institute’s vision is based on the idea that invasive surgery and chemistry can be partially replaced by cell biology and genomics. Science already uses autologous cells as a therapeutic and corrective agent and biology is ready to take the ‘first slices’ of the market away from chemistry. Correction of genetic defects detected during prenatal development is possible by means of carriers that can rescue the defect, restoring a genetically normal condition. Bioscience Institute creates platforms, that aim to provide cell therapies and genomics services. This focus on knowledge puts Bioscience Institute in an advantageous competitive position as a leader in the market of Adipose Derived Stem Cells therapies and genomics.
Bioscience entrepreneurial ModelThe company’s rapid growth has allowed it to overcome competitors and is mirrored by its commitment to offer cell therapy services and genetic testing largely supported by scientific evidences for safety and efficacy. The management model is also another contributing factor to Bioscience’s fast development. It is characterized by a hybrid solution between a foundation and a company. Over the course of the years, the company has reinvested all of its profits into research and development activities, keeping a low commercial profile. In this way, Bioscience was able to instigate important scientific collaborations with leading Universities who were developing pioneering procedures and methods around the clinical applications of cell products.
The company’s rapid growth has allowed it to overcome competitors and is mirrored by its commitment to offer cell therapy services and genetic testing largely supported by scientific evidences for safety and efficacy. The management model is also another contributing factor to Bioscience’s fast development. It is characterized by a hybrid solution between a foundation and a company. Over the course of the years, the company has reinvested all of its profits into research and development activities, keeping a low commercial profile. In this way, Bioscience was able to instigate important scientific collaborations with leading Universities who were developing pioneering procedures and methods around the clinical applications of cell products.
Gene Therapy is based on the introduction of genetic material into normal cells in order to counteract the effect of a disease gene or introduce a new function.
The early genetic diagnosis with G-Test allows an immediate intervention of Gene Therapy at birth, that has not been previously available.
The integration of the Bioscience platform of cell factory with that of genomics allows the production of GENE THERAPY.
Cancer Targeted Stem Cell Therapies
Cancer treatments are based on the combination of the identification of cancer genetic markers and of the administration of mesenchymal stem cells, in order to develop antitumour agents that robustly target cancerous cells while sparing normal cells.
These therapies involve the administration of MSC, as a drug or as a cell-based vehicle for cancer drugs, to patients affected by specific tumours identified by known cancer genetic markers as well as the genetic monitoring of the responsiveness of the patients to the treatments.
In addition to the cryopreservation of cord blood stem cells, Bioscience Institute operates in the promotion and support of projects in clinical and preclinical research. The main objective of this research is the discovery of new, safe and effective therapeutic applications for cell therapy products that the cell-factory is able to offer. For this reason Bioscience Institute collaborates with research groups of prestigious Italian universities and doctors of international repute. PRE-CLINICAL RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Determination of the effects of increasing platelet gel concentrations on the proliferation and differentiation of different cell populations. Platelet gel is a blood product with non trasfusional use containing several Platelet Derived Growth Factors that spread from the gel and support tissue repair. The therapeutic potential of platelet gel has been widely proved both in vitro and in vivo but there is a lack of conformity regarding the data reported in literature. This is probably due to the fact that platelet gel is used as a supplement to normal culture media, without considering the initial concentration of platelets/ul. We are therefore evaluating what are the optimal platelet gel concentrations able to induce the proliferation and/or differentiation of different cell populations: fibroblasts, keratinocytes and Adipose-Derived Stem Cells.
ONGOING - University of Bologna
- Optimization of Adipose Derived Stem Cells isolation techniques. It has been shown how a good isolation rate and expansion ability of Adipose Derived Stem Cells in culture depends both on the technique used to collect the fat and the technique used to isolate the stem cells. In order to standardize and improve the quality and the ADSC isolation rate, we are evaluating different protocols that foresee the mechanical homogenization or the enzymatic digestion as first step to isolate the cells from the fat.
- Evaluation of adult Adipose Derived Stem Cells multipotency and their ability to differentiate into cardiomyocytes or pericytes. ADSC can be widely used for different clinical applications in regenerative medicine as they are easily isolated from the fat, they can be collected from the patient himself, they have a good proliferative ability in vitro, they have low immunogenicity, they are able to integrate into the receiving tissue and interact with the surrounding tissues through paracrine mechanisms. Different studies have also shown that ADSC are able to differentiate into cell populations of the mesenchymal line (adipocytes, osteocytes, chondrocytes, smooth and skeletal muscle cells, heart muscle cells) but also into vascular endothelial cells, neurons, hepatocytes, pancreatic cells and hematopoietic cells. Thanks to their pluripotency, ADSC are frequently used to repair damaged tissues. The purpose of this project is to to evaluate the effects of the treatment with ADSC with physical stimulus combined to a cocktail of synthetic molecules able to increase the efficiency and reproducibility of their differentiation into cardiomyocytes or pericytes.
ONGOING - University of Milan Bicocca
- Analysis of the mechanisms responsible for vitiligo. Vitiligo is a chronic condition that causes a loss of skin pigmentation, caused by an alteration into the amount and functionality of the melanocytes. The causes of this disorders are still unclear, there are different hypothesis: genetic, autoimmune, biochemical, and neuronal. It’s been shown how melanocytes took from non affected areas of the patients are more sensitive to oxidative stress, which is thus a possible marker for this disease. In order to prove this hypothesis, in vitro experiments on melanocytes isolated from healthy and vitiligo patients are being performed.
ONGOING - Istituto Dermatologico San Gallicano Rome
- Evaluation of the secretory activity of Adipose Derived Stem Cells. Adipose tissue actively participates to the endocrine secretion through cytokines and growth factors secretion. Adipose Derived Stem Cells too are able to release growth factors and cytokines with angiogenetic and anti apoptotic properties. The purpose of this project is to analyze the molecules contained within the secretome released into the culture medium durig ADSC proliferation. ADSC are often used inside biodegradable scaffolds. The analysis of the secretome is also performed after the cells are seeded into a regular meshed polylactic scaffold to highlight possible variations and validate the scaffold system.
ONGOING - University of Bologna
- Development of new scaffolds for tissue engineering applications. Any material used as a scaffold,has to be biocompatible, biodegradable, elastic and resistant.Silk fibroin has been used to realize bioresorbable skin substitutes made by a layer of fibroin and adult stem cells isolated from adipose tissue. Those layers showed good results for the obtention of engineered skin (Chlapanidas et al., AICC, 2010).
- Use of adult Adipose Derived Stem Cells for the inversion and or blocking of miniaturization process. The follicle can be considered as a mini organ characterized by growth cycles and loss of hair, that regrows thanks to the synergic activity of its pool of stem cells. Miniaturization is a degenerative process that progressively brings to the development of very short and thin hair with a reduction of the anagen phase and epithelial and mesenchymal compartments dimensions. It’s been recently discovered that ADSC are able to induce hair growth of immunosuppressed animals in vitro and in vivo. In this case, stem cells isolated from adipose tissue are tested for their ability to induce hair regeneration
- Research of new active molecules for tissue regeneration in case of myocardial infarction. Hyaluronan mixed esters of butyric and retinoic acid (HBR) are able to induce cardiogenesis and vasculogenesis either in vitro in mesenchymal cells isolated from the dental pulp, spinal cord and placenta or in vivo, in infracted rats. Mesenchymal stem cells transplantation derived from the placenta and treated with HBR increase capillary density in heart, normalizes ventricular functionality and reduces scar tissue. From a molecular point of view, HBR induces the expression of Smad proteins that play a key-role in the cardiogenesis processes. Successive studies showed how the injection of HBR into infracted rat hearts afforded substantial cardiovascular repair and recover of myocardial performance thanks to the recruitment of Stro-1 stem cells into a pro-angiogenic paracrine circuitry of angiogenetic factors. These findings may pave new perspectives in clinical studies for myocardial regeneration, without the need of stem cell transplantation. (Ventura et al. JBC 2007; / Lionetti et al., JBC 2010; / Maioli et al., PlosONE 2010).
► CLINICAL RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Autologous adipose-derived stem cells for treatment of sistemic sclerosis.Systemic sclerosis is a rare heterogeneous disease, characterized by progressive accumulation of fibrotic tissue on skin and internal organs. Autologous adipose-derived stem cells (ADSC) were expanded in vitro and administered to 6 patients with systemic sclerosis. ADSC were injected as a suspension in a solution containing hyaluronic acid. This treatment determined a significant improvement in tightening of the skin without complications, suggesting that ADSC are a potentially valuable source of cells for skin therapy (Scuderi et al., Cell Transplantation, in press).
- Autologous adipose-derived stem cells for the regeneration of cutaneous tissue.Thanks to their pluripotency, adipose-derived stem cells (ADSC) are one of the most promising populations of mesenchimal stem cells for regenerative medicine applications. Autologous, in-vitro expanded ADSC are administered to patients with severe cutaneous defects, such as burns, or aesthetic alterations, as stretch marks or cutaneous laxities. After treatment, morphological and functional analysis are performed to evaluate cutaneous regeneration.
ONGOING - University of Bologna
- Autologous in-vitro expanded keratinocytes for reconstruction of oral mucosa. Keratinocytes isolated from an oral mucosa biopsy are isolated and expanded in vitro till the formation of an epithelial patch. Patches are then applied to areas of the mouth where keratinized tissue is absent or incomplete.
ONGOING - University of Milan
- Autologous in vitro-expanded keratinocytes for vaginal reconstruction in patients with Mayer-von Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome. Mayer-von Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser syndrome is characterized by vaginal agenesis. A 28 years old woman with this syndrome underwent a successful autologous vaginal tissue transplantation. The transplanted patch was composed by in vitro-expanded keratinocytes obtained from a full-thickness mucosal biopsy from the vaginal vestibule (Benedetti Panici et al., Human Reproduction 2007) (Benedetti Panici et al., Human Reproduction 2007).